Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Assigning blame in communities

Anyone who has spent time on a board of directors knows that the board or the management company is always to blame for anything that happens.  From a flooding rain to their neighbor with a wild dog if it goes wrong the leaders are thought to be at fault.

As a long time board president I was told that I:

  • don’t care
  • am selective with enforcement,
  • negligent with maintenance
  • etc.

I have to chuckle when these things are said because I am among a few people in the community that volunteer their time to the betterment of the community, so obviously I do care. 

What made me think about this post was a conversation I had with my son last night as he was in a heated argument with his mother.  I got the call as from mom as the argument was going on because he had gotten very disrespectful.  She was blaming me, he was blaming her and I was stuck in the middle blaming Verizon for selling me a cell phone.  Just kidding about the cell phone, but after about 30 minutes of calming down my son and explaining why he should not talk that way to the person who carried him for 9 months things seemed to be better all around.

It seems like an odd connection but dealing with misplaced blame everyday is just part of life as a leader.  The real message here should be accept blame when you are responsible, fluff it off as just part of life when God decides to dump 4 inches of rain in 1 hour on frozen ground and someone’s carpet gets wet.

No comments: